Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My Birth Plan

If you thrive on having a plan like I do then consider creating a birthing plan a few months before the big event. This will let your doctor and nurses know what your preferences are so that you avoid screaming at them during labor.  :)
I went to Earth Mama Angel Baby, clicked on the "free birth plan" tab at the top and simply filled in the blanks. It was that easy :)
Here is mine. I just retrieved it from my email archives from when I had sent it to my husband. The email read : Please print 10 copies for my birthing staff. (At the time we didn't have a printer at home) Please read carefully. Thanks. The Woman Who's Having Your Child :)




To my Health Care Providers: Thank you for taking the time to work with us and our birth plan. These are our preferences; however we are open and flexible to any medical intervention that may become nessesary in the case of a medical emergency.

My Name:
      Laura Bishop My Due Date: April 12, 2009
My Address: Brentwood, CA  My Doctor: Dr. Walker, Dr. Kasper, Dr. Senior
My Partner: Tim Bishop
      As long as the baby and I are heathy, I would like to go at least 10 to 14 days over my due date before inducing labor.
      I would like to discuss laboring at home as long as possible.
      I trust that my practitioner will seek out my opinion concerning all of the issues directly affecting my birth before deviating from my plan.
      If I go past my due date and the baby and I are fine, I prefer to go into labor naturally rather than be induced.
      During a vaginal exam, I prefer at no time to have my membranes broken unless there is an emergency situation.
      I prefer to have minimal internal exams.
      If I am less than five centimeters dilated, I would like the option of going home.
      If induction becomes necessary, I would like to try natural induction techniques first(with the guidance of my practitioner).
These are the natural induction techniques I would like to try:
      Breast stimulation
      Walking
      Herbs
      Castor oil
      Sexual intercourse
If Medical induction becomes necessary, I prefer to try:
      Rupturing membranes
If my water breaks before I go into labor, I would like to:
      wait 6 hours before being induced.
      Upon arrival at the hospital, I prefer to have my partner with me at all times.
      Please, no residents or students attending my birth.
I request the following people to be present during my labor and/or 2nd stage labor:
      My Partner: Tim Bishop
      My Relatives: Norma Larsen, Neva Bishop
      My Friends: possibly my doula
      My Siblings: Melissa Smith
      I prefer to give birth in a birthing room.
      I prefer to give birth in room with a shower and/or bath.
If birth equipment is available, I would like to use:
      A birthing bed.
      A birthing ball.
      A birthing tub/pool/shower.
      A birthing stool.
Miscellaneous environmental requests:
      I would like to have dimmed lights.
      I would like for people entering the room to speak softly.
      I would like to play music.
      I would like to wear my own clothes during labor and delivery.
      I would like to be reminded to remove my clothing during the actual delivery.
      I would like to wear headsets during my labor and delivery.
      I would like to have my birth photographed.
      I would like to have my birth filmed/videotaped.
      I would like to wear my glasses or contact lenses unless removal becomes medically necessary.
      I would like to have no restrictions on food or fluids during my labor.
      I prefer to have no IV.
      Please do not offer me pain medications. Instead, offer me the encouragement I need to get through this labor drug-free. Bring in a cheer squad if you have to. (ok that last part I just now added) :)
I am prepared to try to handle pain with these natural and alternative methods:
      Breathing techniques.
      Distraction techniques.
      Hypnotherapy.
      Massage.
      Deep (or guided) relaxation.
      Water/bath/shower.
Other considerations :
      Ultimately, I want to be able to walk around and move as I wish while in labor.
      Ultimately, I would like to feel unrestricted in accessing any sounds of chanting, grunting, or moaning during labor.
      Please keep my door always closed during labor.
      If pushing for more than several hours, I am open to medical intervention in 2nd stage labor.
I would like to be encouraged to try the following different positions for labor:
      Squatting.
      Classic semi-recline.
      Hands and knees.
      Standing upright.
      Side Lying.
      Whatever feels right at the time
      I will ask for an enema if I feel that I need one.
      I prefer not to have an episiotomy.
To help prevent tearing, please apply:
Other labor considerations:
      No stirrups please unless I'm having a medical emergency.
      If intervention is needed for an assisted vaginal birth, I prefer vaccume suction
      I would like to view the birth using a mirror.
      I would like my partner to catch my baby, (if he is ready and willing at the time)
      I would like for our baby to hear our voices first.
      I prefer to have the lights dimmed for delivery or, if it is daylight, to access only natural light.
After Baby is Born:
      As long as my baby is healthy, I would like my baby placed immediately on my abdomen following the birth.
      Please put my baby skin-to-skin on my abdomen with a warm blanket over it.
      Please delay all essential routine procedures on my baby until after the bonding and breastfeeding period (i.e., bathing).
      If a C-Section is not an emergency, please give us time alone to think about it before asking for our written consent.
      My partner(s) is(are) to be present at all times during the c-section.
      Ideally, I would like to remain conscious during the procedure.
      I would like the baby to be shown to me immediately after it's born.
      I would like to have contact with the baby as soon as it is possible in the delivery room.
      We would like to photograph or film the operation as the baby comes out.
      If possible, please discuss anesthesia options with me (including morphine options).
      I prefer a low transverse incision on my abdomen and uterus.
Recovery:
      If my baby is healthy, I would like to hold my baby and nurse it immediately in recovery.
      I would like to sign any waivers necessary to permit me to be with my baby in recovery.
      As long as my baby is healthy, I would like my partner to be the babys constant source of attention until I am free to bond with it (i.e., holding, skin-to-skin contact, etc.).
      Please discuss with me what I can expect to feel immediately following the procedure.
      Please discuss my post-operative pain medication options with me before or immediately following the procedure.
      Please allow my partner to cut the umbilical cord.
Placenta:
      I would prefer for the placenta to be born spontaneously without the use of pitocin, and/or manual extraction.
      If the baby has any problems, I would like my partner to be present with the baby at all times, if possible.
      I would like to have routine newborn procedures delayed until bonding and breastfeeding have occurred.
      I would like all newborn routine procedures to be performed in my presence.
Administration of Eyedrops:
      I would like my baby to be administered eyedrops immediately after birth.
Vitamin K:
      I would like my baby to receive a routine injection of vitamin K immediately after birth.
Immunizations:
      I prefer any immunizations be postponed to a later time.
Bathing Baby:
      Please bathe my baby after we have had time to bond with it.
Circumcision:
      I would like him circumcised.
Other circumcision options:
      Please use a local anesthetic.
PKU:
      Routine PKU Testing right away.
Feedings:
      My baby is to be exclusively breastfed.
      I would like to see a lactation consultant as soon as possible for further recommendations and guidance.
Do not offer my baby the following without my consent:
      Formula.
      Pacifiers.
      Any artificial nipples.
      Sugar water.
If my baby's health is in jeopardy, I would like:
      To be transported with my baby if possible.
      My partner to go with the baby.
      To breastfeed or express my milk for my baby.
      To have no time restrictions with my baby.
      To have as much bodily contact with my baby as possible.
      To be offered a room at the hospital for the duration of my baby's stay (within reason).
I would like my in-hospital routine to be:
      Delayed rooming in until I have had time to rest.
Other hospital preferences:
      I prefer a private room.
      I prefer to have my partner stay with me for the duration of my hospital stay.
      I want privacy during my stay and for my guests to limit the time they are visiting me.

1 comment:

  1. We totally threw out our birth plan once we had to be induced. I'm pretty sure the only thing we actually achieved on our birth plan was to avoid a C-section. I often wonder if I had waited another few days if I would have gone into labor naturally (although, I couldn't wait any longer...7 days overdue is forever). But, it is good to have a plan beforehand.

    ReplyDelete