Wednesday, May 19, 2010

How To Create a Fondant Work of Art

First gather these supplies...
  • non-stick rolling pin, non-stick baking sheet thingie with measuring circles, mixing bowl, measuring cup, 1 stick of butter, 1 bag mini marshmallows, vanilla extract, 1 bag of confectioners sugar
Go here to learn the top secret fondant recipe- all recipes

  • After you've made your fondant and it's been refrigerated overnight...
Now if you are a crazy person like myself you'll feel that spending 45 minutes making the fondant wasn't enough so you'll crank out 30 cupcakes just to even things out...


  • Rub your hands with butter and roll it out on a flat surface 
  • Now, get your special Duff Color Gel out and knead just a small bit into the fondant. You cannot use regular food coloring, it will not stick as well or give your fondant a rich enough pigment. Get the Duff gel. :) 
Now that your fondant is colored, you can begin the fun shape making! It's just like working with play-dough except it tastes yummy so watch out, you'll be eating some along the way! 



    And here's a look at the finished product! A "mod-monkey" 3-tired fondant cake! And some cupcakes because I just couldn't help myself!



    Oh and here's one more close-up of the cake...OOPS! WRONG PIC! This is what I USED to do before becoming a mommy spending countless HOURS in my kitchen like an Amish wife...partying it up! :)

    Ok here's another cake pic...



    It really wasn't all that bad making the cake. I mean, between preparing and baking the actual cakes, making the fondant, trying to keep my 1 year old from jumping off the couch with buttery fingers, dying the fondant, cutting the shapes, and assembling the cake while talking on the phone...I'd say it took all of the patience I had stored up for the entire year of 2010. I'll probably NEVER do it again next year! :)


    1 comment: